On Tuesday, the Louisiana Attorney General announced the state was declining to file charges in the shooting death of Alton Sterling on July 5, 2016.
Attorney General Jeff Landry spoke to the family before holding a news conference announcing his findings.
“This decision was not taken lightly,” Landry said during the press briefing. “I’m asking that everyone consider the family in the coming days, and spend their time and energy in lifting them up rather than creating further division.”
Landry also concluded the actions of the officers were “well-founded and reasonable.”
Sterling’s death prompted protests across the country as outrage grew over fatal shootings involving black men.
Since then, however, both federal and now state authorities have failed to find sufficient justification to charge the officers in the shooting.
As per CNN:
Sterling, 37, was shot and killed by police outside a convenience store in July 2016. Cell phone video showed Sterling, a black man, pinned to the ground by the white Baton Rouge police officers before he was shot; police said Sterling was shot because he was reaching for a gun.
The officers were responding to a call about a man with a gun. The call was from a homeless man who said that after he approached Sterling for money, Sterling showed him the weapon.
In May 2017, federal prosecutors found there wasn’t enough evidence to warrant civil rights charges against Officers Blane Salamoni, who shot Sterling, and Howie Lake II.
The feds determined the officers’ actions were reasonable under the circumstances — including that the two used several less-than-lethal techniques before using force; that Sterling struggled with the officers and failed to follow orders; and that video evidence couldn’t prove or disprove Salamoni’s assertion that Sterling was reaching for a gun.
Today’s announcement drew sorry and outrage on social media which many announcing yet again justice has been denied.
— MosesLaw (@tastysunshine73) March 27, 2018
Watch the announcement below:
— CNN (@CNN) March 27, 2018